Dance Instructor, Choreographer, Dance & Kinesiology Researcher
Dietitian – Percussion Instruments Instructor
Maria Athanassiadou was born in Khempten of Germany where she began dancing since she was four years old. She grew in Piraeus, while she maintains contact with her place of origin, the Episkopi of Imathia, Greece.
Main sector of study:
- Physical Educations & Sport Science, with speciality in dance
- Chorotherapy (Dance Treatment)
Secondary sector of study:
- Clinic dietetics
- Percussion teacher
Her Dance professional training began at the «Lyceum of Greek Women» in Athens and the Greek tradition.
In her training she had great contribution from particularly appreciable and respectable professors in the following courses:
- Dance Anthropology – Rena Loytzaki
- Musicology of Nations – Lambros Liabas
- Social anthropology – Maria Belioti
- Rhythmic and movement – Nansi Charmanta
- Psychology of kinetic behaviour – Yannis Zerbas
- Dressing – Ioanna Papantoniou
- Greek dance Repertoire – Giorgos Kotsos
- Folklore song and society – MirantaTerzopoylou
- Folklore song and practice – Theodora Barsoy
- Learning of musical crusts – Michalis Klapakis
- Bibliography of Greek dance – Gospels Antzaka
- Research of Greek dance – Lefteris Drandakis
- Stage direction of dance – Lefteris Drandakis
- Theatrical performance – Lefteris Drandakis
- Folklore – RenaLoytzaki
SPECIALITY OF DANCE 4TH YEAR [TEFAA]
- Royal Tyrobola
- Yannis Zerbas
- Magda Zografou
- Vasilis Kleisouras
- Stavros Tziortzis
- Ilias Dimas
- Costas Tsaggalas
- Minas Alexiadis
- Michalis Meraklis
- Giorgos Amargiannakis
- Human Physiology
- Kinetic education – improvisation
- Re-establishment of body-muscles dysfunctions
- Functional anatomy of person
- Ergo physiology
- Athletic psychology
- Methodology of athletic research
- Neuron muscle facilitations
- Aerobic gymnastics
- Natural activity and ageing
- History of Greek traditional dance
- Dance Notation
- Popular dances of other dances
- Technical and mechanic analysis
- Dance analysis and criticism
- Dance in education
- Didactics of dance
- Ethno chorology(Chorology of Nations)
- Music- Kinetics education
- Teaching methodology
- Elements of modern dance
- Greek traditional dance
- Morphology of dance
DANCES: LATIN AND SMOOTH
INTERNATIONAL AND AMERICAN STYLE
I.D.T.A. – I.S.T.D.
- Giorgos Sagias
- Lakis Butler
- Bana Papagiannopoylou
- Sokratis Charos
- Maria Butler
- Costas Christodoylou
- Pavlos Fotopoulos
- Luis Mestres
- Jason Roditis
Maria Athanassiadou returned to Germany for further dance studies:
- Rhythmic analysis
- Notation – Laban system
- Teaching System
- River dance
- Various seminars in Ballroom dances
There she was taught the basics of Eastern dances, from basics professor, while she attended dozens of seminars of respectable Egyptian musicians and dance instructors.
- Folklore dances Upper and Down Egypt
- Folklore dances of Syria
- Folklore dances of Morocco
All these triggered her personal 12 year research for the ancient Egyptian dance.
It is a study that includes a lot of information, based on Egyptian excavations and involves elements of Ancient Egyptian society, musical and dancing sector of that time period, findings that have been rescued up to today, despite their years’ alteration.
Also, the study reflects a different point of view from the one that was expressed in the book by Irene Lexova on the ancient Egyptian dance (1935).
The study and analysis of Maria Athanasiadou are under publication, after the approval by Egyptology University Professor, doctor of history in ancient Egyptian culture and foreign appreciable students in the proportional subject, the names of which are also published in the book.
In September 2007, Maria Athanasiadou, completed her study in the sector of Dance Therapy.
This sector is new to our country. In the view of this sector enlargement, Mrs. Athanasiadou applies voluntary programs in children and adults hospital [Pedon Hospital], in the association “The smile of child” organization and in the “association of volunteers in cancer”.
The diversifications of Dance Therapy program are:
- Movement problems
- Learning difficulties
- Hyper Movement
- Panic Crisis
- Body muscles dysfunction
- Emotional disturbances
- Self improvising
Maria Athanassiadou as enhancement of her study attended the following seminars:
- Kinesiology and rhythm – Germany (1991)
- Study and research of the dance-Germany (1991)
- Taps (1991)
- Organization and administration of cultural activities (1990)
(General Secretary of new generation and sports) (1990)
- Cretan dances – Manolis Chnaris (1990)
- Pont dances – “Argonaftes – Komninoi” (1990)
- Cyprus traditional dances association of Cypriot Students ” (1990)
- Dances and Folklore of Eastern Romylia “association of Greeks of Eastern Romylia (1990)
- Analysis kinesiography of Laban (Labanotation) (1991)
- Dance and folklore of Alatsaton and Eritrea, Minor Asia (museum of popular art) (1991)
- Dances of Kappadokia “Dora Stratou” (1991)
- Dances of Ionian “Dora Stratou” (1991)
- Dances of Sarakatsanon “Dora Stratou” (1991)
- Psycho-intelligent interpretation of improvisation, Munich (1991)
- Psycho movement approach of dance learning, Munich (1991)
- Performance Psychology, Munich (1991)
- Kinetic study of person behavior, Munich (1991)
- Pedagogic value of traditional dance “Lyceum of Greeks” (1992)
- Diet and movement seminars, I. Pavlou (1992)
- Sports medicine Seminars – Sarantis Chatzikonstantinou (1992)
Maria Athanassiadou has attended the following congresses:
- 4th congress of International organization of popular art (Dolt) “music – dance in the popular culture” (Athens 1990)
- 5th congress of Dolt “dance and ancient Greece” (Athens 1991)
- 6th congress of Dolt “ethnography of dance” (Athens 1992)
- 7th congress of Dolt “The teaching of dance” (Pilion 1993)
- 8th congress of Dolt “The dance beyond the borders” (Drama 1994)
- 9th congress of Dolt “The dance from the research in the teaching” (Pilion 1995)
- 10th congress of Dolt “dancing representation and costume” (Drama 1996)
- 11th congress of Dolt “The dance round Mediterranean” (1997)
- 3rd congress of Fitness (abdominal dorsal) (2003)
- 4th congress of Fitness (diet and sports) (2004) (Latin aerobic) (2004)
- 5th congress of Fitness (wound of muscular teams) (2005)
- Research on the spot and recording of dance “kagelari” in the villages Athamanio, Kapsala, Thodoriana, in the Prefecture Arta. (1992)
- Research on the spot and recording of proceedings from refugees of Eastern Romilia, in the village New Monastery [Domokos]. (1993)
- Research on the spot and recording of proceedings «second day Easter», in the «Perachora», Loytraki – Korinthia. (work TEFAA 1994)
- Research on the spot and recording of traditional Songs of central Macedonia. (1999-2003)
- Research, recording and analysis of kinetic elements from Burial of excavations of ancient Egyptian culture, Collection, comparison and study on dressing and Religious elements of 18th Dynasty, study of Historical texts and Egyptology. (1990-2002)
- Kinesiology study and application of ORIENTAL – RAQSHARQI in pregnancy with additional elements Lamaz and Shakti.
PRESENTATION OF INQUIRING WORK
- Piraeus Association [Peiraikos Syndesmos] (kagkelari) (1996)
- Scientists Association (folklore elements Eritrea) Metropolis of Piraeus (2002)
- Ancient Egyptian dance and pre-Islamic Raqsharqi, Educative department of embassy of Egypt (2003-4-5-6-7)
- Harmonics of Eastern music and folklore of Egyptian People, Educative department of Egyptian embassy (2003-4-5-6-7)
- International research dance congress “Ancient Egyptian Dance and Raqsharqi”, Athens (2007)
PRESENTATION of NEW TYPE of GYMNASTICS (Raqshobic)
- Greek congress Gymnastica – (Athens 2005)
- Greek congress Grafts – (Athens 2006)
- Greek congress Gymnastica – (Athens 2007)
- Oriental for Pregnants (Athens 2008)
REWARDS – HONARARY DISCRIMINATIONS
- HONORARY PLAQUES FOR the ORGANISATION of 4th – 5th – 6th – 7th – 8th – 9th – 10th INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL of TRADITIONAL DANCES IN THE ZEYGOLATIO, N. KORINTHIA.
- PRAISE OF 1st ELEMENTARY OF SCHOOL OF NICE, 13th ELEMENTARY SCHOOL OF NICE, 11th HIGH SCHOOL OF NICE FOR THE OFFER IN THE TEACHING OF TRADITIONAL DANCES.
- HONORARY PLAQUE OF COMMERCIAL CHAMBER PIRAEUS FOR THE CONTRIBUTION IN THE RESCUE OF TRADITION.
- REWARD OF DANCE COMPETITIONS IN FESTIVALS OF MUNICIPAL SCHOOLS WITH THE ORGANISATION OF CULTURAL ASSOCIATION “ROOTS”.
- REWARD OF COMPETITION IN THE CREATION OF TRADITIONAL OBJECTS ORGANIZED BY MUNICIPALITY KORINTHIA.
- REWARDS OF COMPETITIONS OF CHOREOGRAPHY OF – IMPROVISATION IN GREEK POPULAR DANCES OF PIRAEUS PREFECTURE.
- PRAISE FOR THE DECENT CONFRONTATION OF “TRADITIONAL PROCEEDING” IN THE ORGANISATION OF FEASTS OF SPRING FROM THE WOMEN OF CRETE AND AEGEAN ISLANDS ASSOCIATION.
- HONORARY DISCRIMINATION OF DANCING TEAM IN FIRENZE ITALY, 1995.
- HONORARY PLAQUE FOR THE APPEARANCE OF DANCING REPERTORY IN CITY JIRKOVISTE, ROMANIA.
- COMPETITION OF DANCE 1 – 3 AM. STYLE, 1995, (1st Position).
- COMPETITION OF OPEN CHOREOGRAPHY, 1995, (1st Position)
- COMPETITION OF CHOREOGRAPHY [CHASAPIKOY] 1996, (1st Position)
- COMPETITION OF DANCE 1 – 10 AM. STYLE, 1998 and (2nd Position)
- CHOREOGRAPHY INTERNATIONAL, 1999
- METROPOLIS PIRAEUS AS PROFESSOR OF DANCE IN PARISHES OF SAINT ANARGYROS, OF SAINT IOANNIS RENTI – SAINT FRIDAY KALLIPOLEOS – PANAGITSAS NICE – METAMORPHOSIS OF SAVIOR (1987 – 2000)
- NATIONAL MOUSICOLOGY INSTITUTION OF “PETROS ZISIS” (1990 – 1995)
- MUNICIPALITY OF FILOTHEIS (1992 – 1995)
- INTELLECTUAL «ROOF» OF ZEYGOLATIO KORINTHIA (1992 – 1999)
- FACULTY OF DANCE KATERINA RODIOY (1994 – 1996)
- ASSOCIATION [DAFNOYSION] CHIOS (1994 – 1997)
- 1st ELEMENTARY SCHOOL OF NICE (1995 – 2000)
- 13th ELEMENTARY SCHOOL NEAPOLEOS (1992 – 1995)
- 33rd ELEMENTARY SCHOOL OF PIRAEUS (1997 – 1998)
- 1st ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PIRAEUS (1997 – 1999)
- 4th HIGH SCHOOL OF NICE (1998 – 1999)
- 11th HIGH SCHOOL OF NICE (1998 – 1999)
- MUNICIPALITY OF NICE (1996 – 1998)
- CLUB OF YOUTH OF PIRAEUS PREFECTURE (1997 – 1999)
- MUNICIPALITY OF CHALANDRI (1994 – 1996)
- FACULTY OF DANCE GENE KELLY PIRAEUS (1992 – 2000)
- GREEK EDUCATION OF (ATHENS) (1997 – 1998)
- PIRAEUS ASSOCIATION (1992 – 2003)
- ASSOCIATION OF SETTLERS KARABA (2000 – 2003)
- FACULTY OF DANCE FRED’S PIRAEUS (2004 – 2005)
LATIN – BALLROOM DANCE
- FACULTY OF DANCE BMC N. SMYRNI (1993 – 1996)
- FACULTY OF DANCE GENE KELLY PIRAEUS (1992 – 2000)
- 1st ELEMENTARY SCHOOL OF NICE(1996 – 2000)
- INTELLECTUAL ROOF ZEYGOLATI, N. KORINTHIA (1993 – 1999)
- 4th HIGH SCHOOL NICE
- PIRAEUS ASSOCIATION (1993 – 2003)
- FACULTY OF DANCE FRED’S PIRAEUS (2004 – 2005)
- PIRAEUS ASSOCIATION (2500 STUDENTS) (1992-2003)
- AMALGAMA Dance Faculty since 2005
- Organization of 3rd Pan-Hellenic Competitions ORIENTAL – RAQSHARQI of dance (2006-2007-2008) [Preparation of 4th Pan-Hellenic Competition]
- Presentations and lectures at the International Council of Dance
- Member of Critical Committee in the competition Volos, [ESCHE] 2008
- Seminars of Ancient Egyptian Dance and proislamic RAQSHARQI at the international organization of Popular Art,
- Seminars and lectures in the Filopappou theatre
- Seminars 26 and 27 July in Chania,
- On-going seminars Raqsharqi and Tribal at the Dance faculty of *[AMALGAMA]*
ATTENDANCES – EVENTS
- Maria Athanasiadou has in her asset more than 3 thousands performances and dancing appearances.
- Some of them took place in Ancient Herodeio Theatre, Beakeio Theatre, Peace and Friendship Stadium, Olympic Stadium, Katrakeio Theatre, in theatres and rooms of big hotels inside and outer Greece.
- Also she had the particular honour to choreograph and present the event which was in honour of the big and leading choreographer Maria Chors (Olympic flame official choreographer)
- She taught kinesiology and dance at the superior faculty of dramatic art of Piraeus Association.
- She did the choreographies of the dancing pieces of the “1000 and one nights of” play, Kastalia Reperoty in the theatre Setas in Evia.
VARIOUS EVENTS AND ATTENDANCES
- In dancing events with partner or dance teams.
- Presentation of pot – pouri choreographies in «dancing nights» in terms of the organization of cultural institutions.
- Musical producer and broadcaster of radio emission “the Wealth of tradition” in the radio of Piraeus Church for 5 years in a raw.
- Organization for first time in Greece of the Pan-Hellenic competition of oriental dance in 2006 with 60 attendances. Regions that took part: Crete, Kavala, Thessalonica, Chalcis, Resource, Veria, Alexandroupoli, Larissa, Lamia, Patras, Athens
- Organization of the 2nd Pan-Hellenic competition of oriental dance 2007 with 92 attendances. Regions that took part: Crete, Kavala, Volos, Chalcis, Alexandroupoli, Rhodes, Thessalonica, Kalamata, Chios, Veria, Ioannina, Patras, Athens.
- Organization of the 3rd Pan-Hellenic competition of oriental dance 2008 with 85 attendances. Regions that took part: Crete, Volos, Thessalonica, Rhodes, Megara, Cyprus, Athens
Conduction of Seminars in the Faculty of Dance *AMALGAMA*
- ORIENTAL WITH VEIL
- ORIENTAL WITH STICK
- ORIENTAL WITH BENDIR
- ORIENTAL WITH CYMBALS
Seminar Raqsharqi – Oriental
- Accessory of Head
- Make-up Oriental (hands, legs)
- Hairdressing Oriental (specifically for show)
- Zilies (cymbals) and walking stick
- Shamantan (candlestick) and sword
- D.T.A. 1992
- NATIONAL DANCE TEACHER’S ASSOCIATION OF GREECE 1992
- INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF DANCE – CID 1993
- INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATION OF POPULAR ART 1993
- CONTACT OF SCIENTISTS PIRAEUS 2002
- EXECUTIVE I.M.P. 1990
- MECDA 2005
- IAMED 2005
- UNESCO PIRAEUS AND ISLANDS 1990
- ASSOCIATION OF VOLUNTEERS AGAINST CANCER 2002
- ASSOCIATION “SMILE OF CHILD” 2006
- VOLUNTEERS OF RESCUE 2007
TELEVISION APPEARANCES – INTERVIEWS
Mega, antenna, sky, alpha, ET1, NET, ALTER, ANTENNA radio, 2nd program of Greek Broadcasting Corporation etc.